We ate this last night. It is one of the favorites in this house. We usually serve it with a salad and some biscuits. Maybe a glass of milk.
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt, pepper to taste
Note: Quick version chicken broth – put chicken breasts in a stockpot. Add 6 cups water. (If you are making a vegetable soup later in the week, make it 8 cups of water and reserve the extra.) Bring to a boil, and cook @medium for 5 minutes, still boiling. Put on the lid and cover for 20 minutes. Done.
- Chop cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a pot on medium til melted. Whisk in flour (I use my gluten-free blend).
- Keep whisking and slowly add milk. (Pour in a steady stream.)
- Add 2 cups of broth in the same way.
- Turn to med-high and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Boil 1 minute, and turn back down to medium.
- Whisk in the rest of the broth and add seasonings. Bring to desired temperature. Turn off the heat.
- Slowly whisk in cream. Add the chopped chicken. TA DA! *do not boil once cream has been added.